During the reign of Oba Adele II, a new Iga was built, preserving all the historical associations with the past. At the entrance (the main gate) is the Oba's Coat of Arms. Striking features of the palace include the carved doorways, the Marble Hall, the Reception Hall, the pillars and the covered way with Roman arches. The present King, Oba Rilwan Akiolu, who has been reigning since 2003, currently resides in the palace, which has been listed as a National Monument.
Three White Cap Chiefs
The statue represents three of these different grades of chiefs, namely the ldejo (landed gentry), the Akarigbere (kingmakers) and the Abagbon (military chiefs). The artwork by renowned sculptor, Dr Sodeinde, is located at the entry to Lagos at Ojota, where there used to be a tollgate. Colonel Raji Rasaki, the then Military Governor of Lagos State, commissioned the statue on 30 November 1991.
African Church Cathedral (Bethel)
It was built with burnt bricks on a strong foundation, reinforced with iron beams imported from London. It is of Gothic architectural design and was dedicated in 1928.The church still retains its original form.
The house on Massey Street still stands solid.
Christ Church Cathedral
Elias Da Silva House
Government Press Building
Holy Trinity Church
In 1861, this first structure was replaced by a solid mud wall building, but got completely destroyed by the ‘Iga Alaga Great Fire’, which swept through Isale-Eko on 30 Januany 1877. So a third structure built of burnt bricks was put up to replace it. This was dedicated on 31 July, 1878.
The present structure, modelled on a church in Germany, is the fourth church building on that site. The project was started on 15 April 1912, and the new building was dedicated and consecrated for use on 27 July, 1929.
Lighthouse, Tarkwa Bay
The Lighthouse, which still retains its original form, was initially gas-powered. However, on 18 December 1990, the revolving beacon light was changed to a solar powered one. The solar lighting system was manufactured by Pharos Marine Ltd of the United Kingdom.
It remains an architectural masterpiece and a cultural landmark.
The Nigerian Railway Compound
Two additional senior staff residences dating from 1907 still stand along Bode Thomas Road. Some slight interior alterations have been made, but in essence, these houses are in their original forms.
Saint Anna Building
It was formerly the property of the Federal Judiciary, but passed to the ownership of the Lagos State Judiciary in 1968 with the separation of Lagos to form a state of its own. It still retains both its original function and design.
Taiwo Olowo's Cenotaph
The tomb is characteristic of Muslim funerary monuments. It has a traceried canopy and pinnacles with floral mortises and a bronze plaque.
Chief Conrad Taiwo was of Oyo ancestry and came to prominence in 19th century Lagos by a combination of commercial success and political astuteness. He died in 1901. The monument is believed to be the work of Senhor Joas Baptista da Costa.
Tafawa Balewa Square Complex
Returnees from Brazil who started arriving in Lagos inthe mid-19th century had agreat impact on the social life of Lagos, a major part of which was the distinct characteristics of their buildings in Bamgbose Street and Campos Square. It was therefore no accident that at a time when drinking water was a rarity in Lagos, Water House had a unique water supply system, which served the owners/residents as well as its immediate community.
Water House has been declared a National Monument.
Yoruba Tennis Club
A clubhouse constructed with burnt bricks was built on the site in 1936. In 1961, the Club was relocated to its present site when its former premises was acquired for the building of the National Museum.
The original clubhouse has undergone many changes over the years, with ultra-modern new buildings replacing old ones. A pavilion donated by the late Chief (Dr) Modupe Norman-Williams occupies a majestic position on the premises, adding to the general beauty of the club.